Saturday, April 2, 2011

A milestone and Chuck strikes again.

Well, I can happily say that Seamus is so far good in a bridle- I hopped on him today for a quick ride around the barn area with him finally wearing a bridle. He listened well so I am happy with today's little lesson. Unfortunately I have no photos of the event!

In other news, trainer Chuck *almost* coliced another horse to death, but we caught her and called him and the vet. It turned out that he had seen the mare down in the stall at 1pm today and didn't check that she would get up and was ok. She was still down at 4:30pm when I got there and Chuck was called and he said he be there in 5 minutes (remember this). I got finished taking care of my horses and he still wasn't around, the mare was down but not rolling so really nothing I could do for her except wait for the vet. The vet had to come from Richmond and got there an hour after being called- Chuck *still* hadn't showed up. Vet gets there and I assist her, 10 minutes later another guy shows up to help, Chuck had finally called him to come out.

Chuck showed up 15 minutes AFTER the vet is done and gone! Turns out he was out of town in Mt. Sterling... and it took him at least an hour to call someone to come out and be with the horse *grr* I am glad I stuck around so I was able to assist the vet, but I thought for sure I was going to be saying goodbye to that poor mare before the vet could get there! She had a bad impaction colic going on so was Banamine'd and oiled and will hopefully be okay. I just can't believe that he left her there at 1pm and he wouldn't have been back until tomorrow! I know we've all met clueless horse owners that probably shouldn't have a horse, but this man is a LICENSED THOROUGHBRED TRAINER. You would think that he would have a clue what a skinny horse looks like, or a colicy horse, or that you shouldn't feed 1/2 starved weanlings 20 pounds of sweet feed a day, or know not to put a 2 year old colt in with a 2 year old filly, or what adequate fencing for said colt looks like (hint... it's not three strand vinyl fencing with mares in the other side!).

I'm just sorry that Chuck's antics today have to eclipse another milestone with Seamus :(

No comments:

Post a Comment