Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Seamus comes home without leaving

Before I even left the barn on Monday, Seamus had his new name. "Green Boy" is kinda dumb and how do you make a nickname out of it? "Seamus" was immediate- he's a redhead and he's Irish according to his dam. It was perfect, it fit, it's different and a little bit goofy like him! He got a little bit of feed and on the way home I started formulating what I would do with my new and rather unexpected horse.

Tuesday was first a trip to the feed store to consult and choose a good low starch, high fat feed for a starved Thoroughbred. At the barn I got a stall set up for the night and took some measurements- he's at least 200lbs underweight, is 15.2 1/2-15.3hh, and should take a 76-78" blanket when weight and muscle is gained back. I put some medication on his rainrot (he is covered in it) and wounds and brushed out his mane. I checked his legs over, he's got a little heat in his left hind.  I haven't the slightest if he's got any injuries, the trainer wasn't forthcoming with any info other than his registered name and age. He's also only wearing one last racing plate leftover from his last race in October so I schedule a farrier visit for the next day. Seamus also got intro'd to my mares, Belle and Sugar, but mostly they ignored him for their hay and he ignored them to walk the field which afforded me opportunity to watch him walk, take photos, and get a short video:



He was then tucked into a borrowed blanket and a stall for the night with a small meal, a large pile of grass hay, a heated water bucket and all my good thoughts for his recovery, it's gonna be a long one.

3 comments:

  1. How old is he? Poor baby, he deserves SO much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How random, I came across photos posted on Facebook... somehow linked through a horsey friend of mine if I recall, and then I stumbled across your blog link on COTH! I recognized your boy instantly. Haha, now I'm following your blog so I can see how he progresses. I have an OTTB as well that had to recover from a weight loss problem, so I feel for your guy.

    ReplyDelete