Thursday, December 30, 2010

Seamus meets the munchkin...

...aka my 9 year old daughter, Sasha :)

While the acquiring of Seamus was going down, my kids have been off visiting their grandparents since Christmas and came home last night. My son is not really interested in the horses but my daughter is really getting into that "love of horses" stage that all little girls go through. Admittedly I have encouraged it ;) She has her own collection of model horses as I have mine and we go to model shows and events together. Two years ago I started teaching her to ride my mare, Belle, and now all I have to do is put a bridle on the pony and a helmet on the kid and they go out and do some easy obstacles and just spend time together while I work with my green Paso Fino, Sugar (my last rescue pony).

When Sasha got home last night I got to tell her that the skinny horse we'd seen on Christmas was now ours and she asked me all about him and wondered when she would meet him so I promised her it would be today. I picked her up after work and we headed to Tractor Supply for a few things and then headed to the barn. I threw hay to my pony girls for the evening and got Seamus up. I put him on the wall tie in the barn aisle with a lead rope on his halter so I can correct him if he started moving around again as he showed he was prone to the one other time I'd put him there. Instead of moving around, he pulled up a hind foot and took a break so he's already learning the wall tie, I guess :) I intro'd Seamus to Sasha and told her she could use a soft brush on his face and neck if he'd let her and he seemed perfectly fine with that. So while keeping an eye on them, I cleaned his stall. Then we got his water buckets filled up while he still chilled on the tie like a good boy.

And finally I had a chance to start working on all that awful rainrot! Ugh... he has large patches over the top of his ribs and small patches down the sides of his haunches and next to his tail. He's got large, nearly quarter sized spots over the top of his haunches. I knew it was bad but you never really "get it" until you start pulling it off... I worked on the big spots on top and the patches next to his tail until you could tell it was starting to bother him, then we sprayed the bald areas with wound spray and hit all the patches with fungal spray again. I can't wait until his own blanket comes in so I can cover him in MTG! That stuff reeks so I don't want to get it all over his borrowed blanket. Darn... that reminds me I need to pick up some more nitril gloves.

And for great news, my equine vet called me back tonight and will be donating Seamus' initial exam and Coggins test! He'll be out tomorrow afternoon and I am looking forward to seeing what he has to say about Seamus :)

1 comment: